Thursday, August 27, 2009

Tomatina!

Yesterday was Tomatina, a freaking MASSIVE tomato foodfight that goes down in Buñol annually. Not willing to miss such an event while so close by, Ben, Nicole and I fought our way in there. Thousands and thousands of people crammed into this small town, the action went down in the main square and the streets leading off of it. The local residents had lined all the buildings with huge plastic tarps, and were on the roofs with hoses and buckets of water soaking everyone below. There was a long time to wait until they drove the six or seven trucks of tomatoes through the streets, during which the main activity was to rip other people´s shirts off and play wet t-shirt dodgeball. As soon as a small gang of shirtless guys began tearing off shirts I took mine off, stuffed it in my pocket and joined them. Wet t-shirts hurt when they´re tied up in knots, soaking in water, and pegged at your face. The stakes were high.

In the main square is a greased pole with a ham at the top that people are meant to try to get. Many tried, I don´t think anyone succeeded.

Then the trucks came through one by one and dumped over 150 metric tons of tomatoes on everybody. SO MANY TOMATOES. The streets were calf deep in tomatoes in places. The atmosphere was like a big jolly mosh pit, people were looking out for each other in a situation where it would have been reeeaaaaallly easy to fall below and get trampled.

On the way out of town the locals took great pleasure in hosing down the tomato fighters. The old men especially enjoyed hosing off bikini clad hotties. They did a decent job of getting us clean, but tomato had found its way into every crevice. I´m not sure my shoes will ever not smell like tomatoes. I also have some mysterious red dots (along with a number of semi-explainable bruises and scrapes) on me that are hopefully not a terrible skin disease.

Getting into Barcelona tomorrow, any tips?

8 comments:

  1. dream come true... wow - living the dream albo

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaaaaaaaah!! dklsjfoideur eu0urfdij\\

    I saw this in the news! I said to myself, THAT IS MY DREAM!

    ALBERT, YOU ARE LIVING MY DREAM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally jelly-OUS. You make me really want a vacation... and a caprese salad.

    I hope you love Parque Güell en Barcelona, but be prepared to be annoyed afterward. I got angry because it just makes me think why can't I live in a Gaudi designed neighborhood of magic and wonder?! I guess visiting is enough. *grumble grumble life is unfair grumble*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to do the tomatina. That sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. barcelona: mercury fountain is at the fundacio joan miro.
    there is a chocolate museum in barcelona, but it sucked in october 2003.

    la rambla is easy to get sucked in to, but i wouldn't bother. wander wander wander...it's a big artistic city.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow. that sounds like the coolest thing EVER. were the tomatoes fresh? did you eat some?

    ReplyDelete
  7. just did some googling. not too fresh. its probably better so they dont hurt when people throw them.

    ReplyDelete