Saturday, September 19, 2009

Could I Kill a Coyote in (Relatively) Unarmed Combat?

Two nights in a row now I've encountered a coyote on my way from the main house to my little guest house. The first night I had my flashlight on me, walked outside, heard some rustling noises and flashed my light onto a coyote about 15ft away. He darted a few feet but then stopped and stared, his eyes bright in the light. He was afraid of me, but not as afraid as I would have liked. I made some menacing noises to no effect, then tossed a couple of stones in his direction which again made him retreat a little further but still he watched me as I connected the power to my cabin and went on my way. Last night, same thing happened, though I didn't have my flashlight with me so I was tossing the stones a little more aggressively. This got me to thinking--I feel like I'm a pretty accurate thrower (ahem), if a coyote decided to charge me and I beaned him right between the eyes (or on the temple or somesuch) with a decently sized stone do you think he would go down? I'm not a big fan of hunting, it seems like a very unbalanced fight what with modern human weaponry and all that. But me vs. a coyote in a field of stones seems pretty fair. As long as he doesn't call his buddies--if the nightly chorus is any indication, they are everywhere!

Maybe I'm just feeling inspired by the fact that I'm a short walk from where David took down Goliath...

No comments:

Post a Comment