Thursday, September 24, 2009

Come See a Sculpture I'm Making

Most of this week I've been helping Marc build a sculpture out of mud on the Western end of his property. Last week it was a base and a wooden frame. Now we've filled it with tires, rocks, and old construction waste and slapped many many pounds of mud on top (1 bucket dirt, 1 bucket sand, 1 bucket manure, some pinestraw, water, and a super secret ingredient) to make it the still-in-progress beauty it is today. It's tall--ten feet or more. The basic forms are done, Marc is going to spend some time on the faces and then that'll be that. I'll take some more pics when it's all done.

I also let slip that I was a filmmaker in a previous life, and I've been recruited to make a documentary of sorts for the place. I thought I didn't want to do this until the camera was in my hands and then I remembered what fun it is. Shooting a conversation happening in a language you don't understand is like deflecting a remote droid's lasers with your blast shield down.

Albo: "But in Hebrew, I can't even understand, how am I supposed to shoot?"
OWK: "Your ears can deceive you, don't trust them. Stretch out with your feelings."
[Albo calmly zooms and pans, capturing like three great decisive moments.]
Han: "I call it luck."

2 comments: